October 16-19, 2019 • San Diego, California
This evidence-based course is designed for the beginning/intermediate colposcopist. It will also benefit clinicians needing updated information about the newly published Updated Cervical Cancer Screening Guidelines, the Updated National Consensus Guidelines for Management of Women with Abnormal Cervical Cancer Screening Tests and Cancer Precursors, and new concepts about HPV screening and triage, treatment methods, and HPV epidemiology. This course is designed to improve competencies in medical knowledge, practice-based learning, patient outcomes, and/or systems-based practice. The participant should be a licensed physician or advanced practice clinician with an advanced clinical degree from an accredited institution and who makes gynecologic diagnosis and management decisions.
Upon completion of this educational activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe the anatomy, cytology, histology, and colposcopic findings of the normal and abnormal cervix, vagina, and vulva (medical knowledge);
- Elicit and document an appropriate history including risk factors for lower genital tract neoplasia (medical knowledge, practice-based learning);
- Define the pathophysiology of lower genital tract neoplasia, including the role of oncogenic HPV in preinvasive and invasive diseases of the cervix, vagina, and vulva (medical knowledge);
- Define the Bethesda System of cervicovaginal terminology (medical knowledge);
- Apply new standards for cervical cancer screening, including HPV testing (systems-based practice);
- Describe the prevention of cervical neoplasia and genital warts using prophylactic HPV vaccines (medical knowledge);
- Discuss the challenges of colposcopy and management of cervical neoplasia for selected patient populations such as adolescents, women infected with HIV, underserved women, and pregnant women (medical knowledge, practice-based learning, patient outcomes);
- Perform appropriate cytologic sampling, colposcopic evaluation, and biopsies (including endocervical sampling), and become familiar with instrumentation and necessary supplies (practice-based learning);
- Recognize the diagnostic characteristics of cervical abnormalities (low-grade and high-grade cervical lesions as well as adenocarcinoma in-situ and cervical cancer) on cytologic, colposcopic, and histologic exam (practice-based learning);
- Interpret and correlate cytologic, colposcopic, and histologic results (practice-based learning);
- Formulate a plan of care for the management of women with Pap test abnormalities according to the most recent ASCCP Consensus Guidelines, the ASCUS/LSIL Triage Study (ALTS), and other evidence-based guidelines (practice- based learning, systems-based practice, patient outcomes);
- Describe, but not perform, treatment options to include cryosurgery and electrosurgical loop excision procedure (LEEP) of the cervix (practice-based learning);
- Summarize and explain the diagnosis and management of vulvar and vaginal neoplasia (medical knowledge, practice-based learning); and,
- Provide appropriate patient education and support (medical knowledge, interpersonal and communication skills).
Continuing Medical Education (CME)
ASCCP is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM
ASCCP designates this live activity for a maximum of 22.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
As an accredited provider of CME credit, ASCCP has implemented a process to ensure that anyone who is in a position to affect the content of an educational activity has disclosed all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. Any conflicts of interest have been resolved by ASCCP prior to the activity.
The following person(s) disclosed relevant financial relationships:
- Sarah Feldman, MD, MPH – Faculty – UptoDate (Author and Peer Editor)
- Michelle Szymanowski, WHNP – Faculty – Myriad Genetics (Speaker)
- Alan Waxman, MD, MP – Faculty – Loktal Medical Electronics (Speaker)
The following person(s) disclosed no relevant financial relationships:
- Christine Conageski, MD -- Faculty
- Nancy Joste, MD – Faculty
- Michelle Khan, MD, MPH- Faculty
- Megan Huchko, MD, MPH - Content Reviewer
- Edward J. Mayeaux, MD – Content Reviewer
- Colleen Stockdale, MD, MSc – Content Reviewer
- Kerry Curtis – Staff
- Cate Langley – Staff
- Cari Price – Staff
- Alisha Yocum - Staff